Bank Card not Working In Central Bangkok and Lost Keys in Bali Gili and Bangkok Metropolitan Area



The phone rang when we were in a small café in Bangkok. We were just sitting there at the time.

The girl sitting in front of me was the same one I met a year ago in this big city. She looked at the screen and made a pained face. Her nanny was calling. She picked up, listened for a short time, and then her face changed in a hard way. It was not anger and not disbelief, but was somewhere between the two.

"Lose it where?" she said in Thai. Then she spoke in English for me. "No, no — look in the bag again. The outside pocket."

I took a drink from my iced coffee and tried not to listen in. But the café was small. Her voice sounded upset. My Thai was good enough to get what she was saying.

Her nanny had lost the keys to her house.

I nearly choked on my ice.


The Key to Coincidence in Bangkok and Bali

The first time I met this girl was in this city, about a year before. A friend we both knew had introduced us at a rooftop bar. The air there was hot and heavy, almost like wet clothes hung up to dry. She had just got back after spending three months in Da Nang, Vietnam. I had also been in that city, around the same time, but we were not there together. She talked about Da Nang like it had made a big difference to her life. She told me about the beaches, all the motorbikes, and how the coffee was so thick and sweet, it felt like it could stop your heart.

She had been to Bali too. She went at a different time than I did, but it was the same place. We talked about where we had traveled in Southeast Asia, like two people following lines that sometimes meet. There were times we almost met each other. There were other times when we didn't get close. Her old boyfriend was around when she was in Da Nang. She didn't say that out loud, but I could tell by the quiet moments between her words.

We talked until the bar closed. Then we said goodbye. I thought that was all. It was one of those times you meet someone when you travel. The good feeling lasts for one night, then it slowly fades. Later, you just follow each other on Instagram, but never delete it.

But after a year, I was back. It was the same city. The same girl. The same heavy air.

And her nanny had just lost the house keys.


Here's the part I can't stop thinking about:

A year before that call, I was on the Gili Islands in Bali. It is a small island. There are no cars there. People get around on bicycles and horse carts. The sand gets into everything. I stayed in a small condo near the beach. It is the kind of place where you lock the door with a heavy, old key. It is easy to lose.

And I lost it.

I do not know how it happened. Maybe the phone fell out of my bag at the beach. Maybe I forgot it at a warung. What I do remember is standing in front of my door after a long, sunny day. I patted my pockets and then I felt that sinking feeling in my stomach.

Gone.

It took me two days to fix things. For two days, I slept in a hammock at a hostel near the beach. I had to use my friend's sarong as a towel for those two days. I could not get back into my own space. It was tough, it made me laugh, and the whole thing felt so strange at the same time.

I never told her that story. We hadn't met yet.


And now, here we were. A year has passed. Two people met during their trips to Vietnam, Indonesia, and Thailand. Now, they are sitting across from each other in a Bangkok café. And the phone rings.

Her nanny, back at her house, has lost the keys.

Not me this time. Her.

The same problem, which feels silly, is here again. The same cold feeling in the stomach comes back. But this time, it is happening to someone else. Now, I am on the other end of the phone. A year and many miles have gone by since I lost my own keys.


What do you call that? Is thi Joke of personal data protection policy

Coincidence is too simple of a word for this. Fate feels like it carries too much weight. Maybe the word is synchronicity—the idea Carl Jung talked about. This means there are meaningful connections that feel like they show something deeper, a pattern we may not know but feel moving under our lives.

I don't know if I can get behind any of that. But I do know this. When she hung up the phone and let out a long, showy Thai sigh, I had to laugh. I wasn't laughing at her. I was laughing at what was going on. I was laughing at how two people can go around each other from different places and over so much time and still pick up the same strange thing like matching souvenirs.

"What?" she said, half-smiling despite herself.

"I lost my keys in Bali for few days," I said. "It was right when you were in Da Nang. That happened before we met."

She looked at me for a moment. Then, she started laughing as well.

"Maybe it's contagious," she said.


Travel has a way of bending time and place. You can meet someone one day in March and then see them again the next April. It might feel like no time has gone by, or maybe it feels like everything has changed and both of you have new stories. You talk about paths, what went wrong, and the small problems that show up only when you're living out of a backpack in a country where you do not fully speak the language.

Losing keys is a small thing that happens to many who travel. It is annoying and you will remember it, but it's not bad enough that you forget about it. When it happens to someone else, someone you know and have spent time with, it can feel more like a joke the world is playing on both of you, not just bad luck.

The nanny found the keys in the end. They were in the outside pocket of the diaper bag. That is exactly where my friend told her to look.

I did not find my keys on Gili. I had to give money to the condo owner to get a new key.

But I think I got the better story.

Comments

Popular Posts